Last year, 2014, was not quite “to plan”. It was a very busy year, we had a lot of fun, made some progress on goals, but at the end… it also brought a lot of heartache and sadness. I covered most of the fun parts of the year in my recent End of Summer 2014 post. Before the summer started there was also a work trip to Canada, a getaway to Las Vegas with Jenny’s kids, and a lot of local hiking.
To keep myself honest I should probably review the 2014 top 10 countdown from my post Happy New Year – 2014!…
10. Weekend project – install surround sound speakers! (Done)
9. Develop an Android App and publish it to Google Play. (Nope – I’m slacking…)
8. Weekend Project – Improve the storage in our garage so we can park 2 cars in the garage at once (novel idea)! (I say no, but my wife gives me partial credit for some of the things I did to make it a little better, but the big improvements will have to come in 2015.)
7. Our 4th consecutive season of Green Flash Concerts at the Birch Aquarium. (YES – we had lots of fun!)
6. Bucket List (progress) – Complete at least 35 new (never been on hikes) in San Diego County. (Sort of a yes – cumulative, but I think I really missed the spirit of this one. we did not hike at the end of 2014. It was very dry until near the end of the year and then we were booked.)
5. Bucket List – Walk across the Grand Canyon not once but twice on a rim to rim to rim hike! (Not quite… we hiked from the North to the South rim, but the a rim to rim to rim will have to wait until next time.)
4. Check at least one item off my Bucket List in the travel section. Need to coordinate this with a few people so I’m not picking one now… (Not from the travel section “per say”, it ended up being from the California section – see the first post for this trip – A Few Days in San Francisco (Day 1 – 26 July 2014 – Cable Car Museum and Dinner on Nob Hill).)
3. Visit family and friends in Iowa, Nebraska, Idaho, and even here in California! (Yes!)
2. One of my daughters will get engaged! (OK cheating on the prediction side of things as it happened on January 2nd.) (Yep! Not one but two engagements in 2014!)
1. Bucket List – rock a grandchild to sleep in my arms! (Over and over again!)
However, 2014 was not all “fun and games”. Throughout the year there was an underlying theme of significant illness, and uncertainty. Some of this turned out well and some did not. There were also some terrible surprises at the end of the year. In November and December we lost several members of our immediate and extended family. Regardless of all the fun we had throughout the year I will always remember the end of 2014 as a time spent reflecting on past joys, feeling lucky to have known these people, and feeling the full brunt of their loss. One of my key philosophies on life is that joy and happiness would not be as sweet if grief and sadness did not exist. I will carry that as hope into the new year along with the wonderful memories I have of those we lost.
Now to continue the tradition I started last year… here is my Top 10 Countdown for 2015.
10. See at least one singer/act that I’ve never seen before from my Bucket List.
9. Do at least one item from the Adventure, Travel, or California sections of my Bucket List.
8. Eliminate my electric bill! (This one is already planned – so it’s an easy “done” for next year’s review.)
7. Leave room in our schedule for opportunistic travel and adventure and take advantage of at least one of these opportunities.
6. Complete at least one of the following home projects:
– Expand the storage area of my garage by at least 50% to give us more room for fun and games – ping-pong and darts anyone!
– Finish painting the remaining “contractor white” walls and woodwork in our home.
5. Plan and complete a family camping trip to Yosemite. This may be challenging with all our kid’s busy schedules this year.
4. Complete at least 20 new hikes in San Diego County to check off a few more trails on my page tracking the progress on my bucket list goal to hike all the trails in the book Afoot and Afield in San Diego County.
3. Focus on healthy living. I will lose the weight I’ve gained over the past couple years by eating better and exercising more.
2. Spend lots of time with friends and family.
1. Walk my oldest daughter down the aisle!
I hope your 2014 was everything you hoped for and then some, and that your 2015 exceeds all reasonable expectations! Happy New Year!